Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Not Knowing


It has been great to still keep in touch with friends back home. Thanks to iPhone technology, I got to facetime with Debbie during my lunch break last week. As brief as it was, it was a blessed time to encourage and pray for each other. Something in our conversations struck me. She mentioned in passing how it was a big decision for Tintin and I to move to Hong Kong. Her words caught me off guard. It never really occurred to me that moving to Hong Kong would be a big decision, until now. I had a reality check. Tintin and I are in Hong Kong, setting up “home” here for the time being, until God calls us elsewhere. Sometimes this realization might be overwhelming. I wonder, “Why did God call us back to Hong Kong? Have we realized what our purposes are yet or will it be fully realized in the future? When will I go back to Vancouver? What lessons does God want me to learn?”  If I dwell on these questions too long, I might start freaking out. But what I have learned from the past year is that it is to our benefit to not know too much.

If I knew I would be in Hong Kong for an indefinite period of time, away from family and friends, I probably would have chickened out and stayed in Vancouver. My fears and doubts would have consumed me. But instead, God only told me what I needed to know for my good. That way, I would be able to proceed forward with the little faith that I have. And I guess that was what we did. I (We) learned that as we proceed, God will reveal and confirm the next steps. In this way, it makes us depend on God more. I guess that was what happened in the past year with Tintin and I. Somehow, the little steps brought us here. So, if you ask us what are the plans for the future, our answer would probably be, “I don’t know.” And it’s okay to not know too much. It’s probably for our own good. So, if you want to pray for us, pray that we would be faithful in the things God has given us. Pray that our ears and hearts will always be open to hear the confirmation and revelation of God for the next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment