Monday, August 27, 2012

3rd year in Hong Kong!

This week marks the start of another school year, the 3rd in fact! I can't believe I've taught for 4 years now. Seems like yesterday when I was still doing my practicum at UBC and when Michelle went on hers in Dalian. I joked a couple days ago that no matter how hard I try I'll always only have one more year of teaching experience than Michelle. That is unless she gets pregnant. Then I win.

So this year I've been given an English Literature course to teach and I'm really excited about it. I've been reading through lots of short stories and remembering the texts that I was taught back in the day. The challenge of teaching here in HK is that students are not exposed to reading (especially English books) at an early age. Students have no habit of reading for enjoyment. The only things they read are textbooks they are memorizing for the exam.

This year my teaching schedule looks like this. It's a really nice balance. Instead of teaching one more English Language class with all the grammar and compositions to mark, I'll get Form 3 Literature instead. I get to see the students I taught in Form 1 my first year again which will be nice.



Oh! I've been rearranging (don't want to use "redecorating" since it's a little feminine) my table. I've been getting rid of the clutter. Notice the theme going on?? Yeah, I'm pretty proud of the tape dispenser I made.



Hope all is well with whomever reads this.

Blessings

2 comments: