Friday, September 6, 2013

New School, New Year


Rivendell. Shalom.


So much has happened the last few weeks since we got home from our holidays in Canada. As usual, the summers are too eventful to be documented fully here. There were meals, parties, weddings, and even a trip to a comic convention. All this spent with family and friends made our time particularly special. But at the end of it, we knew it was time to start our school years again and begin our new adventure.

So we literally haven't stopped since the day we got off the plane. The following morning I had supervision duties at UCCKE (my old school) and was slated to do one more day of duty the day after which would clash with my new job's orientation. Thank God a typhoon came and took care of that hassle. There has never been a more perfectly timed answered prayer. 

So after that single day of sitting in an staff room for 8 hours all by myself, my time at UCCKE came to an official close. I'll miss the quirky local kids, taking kids out for lunch across the street, or standing for 40 minutes every Monday and Thursday for cheesy Assembly meetings. 

And thus our new adventure of working together at CAIS began. After 3 years of hearing Michelle tell me all her stories about the school, I was excited but also a little apprehensive about working there. After all, I was coming in as her husband - that's who I was known as. I was so pleased to find a staff that was warm and vibrant who not only saw me as Michelle's tag-along, but as one of them.

The last three weeks have been a tornado of throwing up bulletin boards, stapling lettering and organizing desks and trays. All things I have missed since not having my own classroom. It's like my life has turned into a flurry of colour after three years of monotony. I can't say what the next few months will look like since I've noticed teachers are creatures prone to complain, but I have promised myself not to complain about anything I experience this year since every day is a huge blessing from what I've had in the past. I'm so thankful for this job, for these colleagues, my lovely kids, and this calling to be a part of their lives. 

Here are a few pictures of the classroom as it was being set up, and a few shots of the kids.

"A World Awaits" - Narnia Themed Door.
The name tag is as official as it gets!

The back wall


Kids on the second day.


Working on their Duty Group crests


This group is called "Scottish Chickens with 22 Eyes"

"Why Scottish?" I asked.
"Uh, because it's more special than just Salty Chickens," they replied.
"Oh, ok!"


My hope and blessing to you all is that in every season of life, in the dry and the plenty, you will always see God's goodness and purposes for you. May He be your reason for service and may His pleasure be your reward.

Grace and peace,


Tins


No comments:

Post a Comment