Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 1: Biking in Taiwan

Our day started off early at 5:30 as dad had asked me to be at the airport by 6:30 for our 9:00 flight. Dad actually arrived late himself as the van that was supposed to pick him and the bikes up flaked out. But it didn't matter in the end as our flight was delayed anyways. We ended up sitting in the lounge for a few hours. Dad read the newspaper and I studied my Chinese. 

After a few hours dad went to check the flight statuses and came back to say that our flight had been delayed again so we should just continue eating and stuffing our faces. But after another hour of that we just decided to walk over to the gate to be "early" just in case. Well, wouldn't you know it, as we glanced at the board we found out that our flight wasn't actually delayed a second time- it was actually leaving in 5 minutes. So we made a mad dash for the gate and got there just in time. 

So in all, we arrived in Taipei around 2.5 hours late but we made up for it in the commute to Sun Moon Lake (mid-Taiwan). 


We got here and I realized that I severely under-packed. Dad had gone through the packing list with me and warned me not to pack too much. I had taken his advice quite literally so when he didn't mention to bring shorts, I didn't. So I guess I'll be sharing a bed with dad in boxers.


Checked into an awesome hotel- it'll probably be the best one this trip and walked around the Main Street to eat dinner. We chatted with a friendly restaurant owner and fruit stall lady. It's a nice quaint little town. 




So we are back at the hotel now eating fruit we bought at the stall. There's some really funky stuff that I don't even know the names for. They probably don't even have English names. 




We're going to start assembling the bikes soon but dad's on Facebook again. I guess it's not a rush because we have a few more hours. So far it's been a really good start having some good conversations with dad. Looking forward to tomorrow as we'll start riding. 


That's all for now. 


1 comment:

  1. Passionfruit and Guava. I'm not too sure what the first pic of fruit is though :)

    ReplyDelete