Tuesday, August 17, 2010

UCCKE

Tin here:

I apologize in advance for not having photos up for this post. I am waiting for a credit card so I can get a smartphone soon and add to the blog more regularly. The DSLR is too bulky to carry around.

Today was my first day of work at United Christian College in Kowloon East. After months of wondering what this school is about and why the principal hired me even after I missed and bombed the interview, I finally got my chance to go to the school and meet the staff. Today was the new teacher's orientation day and it went pretty smoothly. I met another NET teacher from the States with whom I think I'll get along with quite well.

The coolest part of today was when I met an experienced local teacher who transferred to UCCKE from another campus. This lady, Mrs. Chan, was super nice, and asked me about my name during lunch which I found to be particularly odd. Anyhow, she asked if my parents were Otto and Sally, and started grinning when I told them they were. She explained that she used to hold me as a baby when I was still in HK. ( :S what?!) Turns out she was part of the church we used to go to in HK 25 years ago and was with child at around the same time my mom was pregnant. So after we were born, she and mom would often take turns caring for each other's babies during church time. So crazy. A colleague of mine once cuddled me.

Anyhow, the campus is really nice. Here's a link for anyone interested in seeing a "typical" Hong Kong secondary school layout. The architecture is quite common. The facilities inside, however, are top notch. There's an archery range INSIDE the school. INSIDE! I feel very fortunate to be here.

Campus Pictures

I'll be at a school retreat for a couple days so I'll talk to you all when I'm back!

Peace!

4 comments:

  1. "a colleague of mine once cuddled me". that can be so wrong in any other context. really glad you two are doing well. thanks for sharing and wanting to stay connected. miss you two lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARCHERY? lucky..
    Miss you guys!
    Is Expendables out in HK? If you have time you should watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Allen. So how long was the commute in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 hour guys!!! All together.

    I will try and find time to watch the expendables. Is it a cartoon?

    Miss you guys lots.

    ReplyDelete