Thursday, September 2, 2010

Office Space

I've been hoping to share some pictures of my workplace to you, and I finally got around to taking some pictures. Yesterday I build a sweet chair cover for my chair, which I'll show in a sec. Super excited! Now I can work allergy-free! Anyhow, I'll update you on what a typical day look like at UCCKE.

I wake up at 5:55 each morning. I don't think I've ever woken up this early on a regular basis. Why 5:55 though? It's really just 6 except it compels more sympathy when I tell other people I have to commute a long way. I leave home at 6:30 and arrive (if I'm lucky around 7:30). Sometimes I get to school just before 8.


















At first I was pretty anxious about my teaching schedule. But the actual teaching is all planned out in terms of curriculum. Teaching here is mainly out of the textbook so I follow that and add ideas here and there. It saves a lot of prep hours, which I'm thankful for because I don't think I want to be spending my nights lesson planning.

The blanks are the prep blocks I have!
















For the first time in my life I'll be working in an office. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like, so the whole idea of it is new and foreign to me. No more taking off my shoes and fooling around in my own classroom. I have to work now (or at least pretend to). Here's a view of my desk area.







 Oh, to the sweet, sweet chair cover I made:

When I first arrived, the school didn't have any chairs for my cubicle, so I was standing for a couple days. I then came across a broken, really nasty-looking mouldy chair that someone had discarded by the side. I was tired of standing so I took it.

For the last couple of days my throat has been hurting and I figure it was from the dust and deadskin that had accumulated on the chair. I made this:

It was originally a cardboard box


















yes!



































So that's my workspace, where I'm currently blogging rather than prepping lessons. But then, I don't really have lessons to make because they're all planned :P Sweet....


See you all soon!

Peace

7 comments:

  1. You're a genius Tin! Pure genius! I look forward to the next update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tintin! Jackson Cheung says hello :) We had our RCS Welcome Back BBQ yesterday. I'm excited for school. How are you students? When do you start classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving that coat hanger. Perfect finishing touch.
    And that quite a long school day there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys!

    Janice, the classes officially started today (friday). Some students are good, some not so good (At English). There are mostly not outward behavioral problems; just a lot of attitude and, as the principal calls it, spoiled and selfish students.

    Tom: School is longer on Tuesday too. I was assigned an extra-curricular club, so I have to stay for English Society, which means we play scrabble and talk about English for 45 mins :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! this office looks like all the ones i see in HK soap operas hehehhe now ur one of them =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, 5:55 is really not that bad. i have to get up at 5:00. :P

    ReplyDelete